Sunday, October 19, 2008

Be There

I heard a quote in sacrament meeting today that struck a flurry of thoughts in my mind. And it has spawned me into starting a new blog in which I hope to share some of my own introspective thoughts and insights on life and the gospel. The quote is this:

“Wherever you are, be there, or you will miss most of your life.”

It is easy to skim the surface of this quote and apply it to simply living in the moment, give anything you attempt one hundred percent, or don’t ever be distracted or you will miss the lessons taught to you. These are excellent concepts that can be administered to many aspects of life, but I feel the author intended this for more than a simple catch phrase.

As I pondered this, I broke it down into four steps that I feel cover the main points this quote is implying. But the first three are simply the plan. They are things you absolutely need to know before any actions you do have meaning. They are the self-evaluations that must take place for you to know what your purpose really is. The first step is, you need to know where “There” is. This may sound trivial. But there are many people that understand being “there” as simply a motion of physical existence, and not a state of internal peace. If you want to be there, you need to consciously define where “there” is. It could be as common as being at peace with friends and family, or as complex as living all the commandments and doctrines of the church with exactness. Wherever “there” is, you need to know where it is.

The second step is you need to know how to get “there”. This step reminds me of the common adage “The road to hell is paved with good intentions”. Though we may know where we want to be, we may not ever think of the small steps we will need to take to get there. It would be unrealistic for someone without a high school diploma to budget a six figure income that year without a plan. Likewise, it would be unrealistic for us to think that if we know where we want to be, it’ll just happen. Knowing where it is, and knowing how to get there are two very different things that are often confused.

The third step is you need to know what it takes to stay there. This step is often misunderstood as being difficult. But in reality, when “there” is reached, this step is simple, effortless, but nonetheless essential. Anyone who has undergone a drastic change in their life in order to get to “there” will never tell you it was easy. And yet, as I imagine it, staying “there” would be simple after seeing the bad affects of not being “there”. As habits are formed, the lifestyle will change and they will become accustomed to the new way of life. During a 186 mile flight, a jumbo jet uses 43 percent of its fuel on the take off. But as it reaches its desired height, it stabilizes, and fuel does not burn as fast. Similarly, though the change may be difficult, as you reach a new height, the coast becomes a wonderful, smooth ride. Not to say life will become any easier, but you will be at greater peace with yourself and will be able to better cope with life’s trials.

The last step is of course, “be there”. The action step. Now for some this step may say “get there” or “getting there”. It is different for every person. But even if you are “there” that is not to say we should not be eternally progressing. “Being there” is not a stationary principle. At least not in this sense. As I see it the more we get there, the more we want to become better. In 2 Nephi 4, it is shocking to see the great lamentation Nephi has for his sins. When in reality, how great of sins could he have possibly committed and still been a prophet? Nephi was “there”, and as such he was continually trying to be better. The more we come to understand this concept, the more effective our lives become. We’ll operate like a well oiled machine. As the quote states, if you’re not there, “you’ll miss most of your life”.

If I was completely honest I don’t even know if I’m “there”. But every day is a new day, and I pray that I may be continually progressing. My bishop told me a few days ago to “be the man you were sent here to be”. I don’t know what I’ve been sent here to do specifically. But I know the man I need to be to be worthy to do the things I need to do. President Monson has his own quote which summarizes this nicely, “Do what you need to do, learn what you need to learn, and be who you need to be”.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to like publish a book or something!! Your Posts like this one need to be displayed somewhere! I'm serious! I love 'em! Can't wait for more. :)

    ReplyDelete